Monday, November 1, 2010

A "Barbie" Halloween

Everybody, including Molly, knows how I feel about Barbie. I've made peace with the princess obsession by introducing strong and capable princesses--ones who don't need rescuing (and don't get into situations from which to be rescued in the first place!). Molly gets the notion that being smart is good, being capable is good. But still we have gone round and round about why mommy doesn't care for Barbie. It is a pretty done deal.

Then came last night. We had such fun at our Halloween celebration. Our group is still young enough (and conscious enough) to have age-approporiate costumes for kids. We have good 'ole fashioned' fun--bobbing for apples, pinatas, etc. And of course trick or treating. Molly had such a good time.

So there we are Trick or Treating...and at the last house we experienced a Halloween miracle (from Molly's perspective I'm sure this was even better than a Christmas miracle!). The last house we visited was very decorated and the owners sat on the porch in great pirate costumes. For the kids, instead of candy, there was a big tub of toys to chose from. Pretty exciting and very generous. Well, it didn't take Molly long to choose. She came running back to me with such thrill in her eyes. I think she thought she had finally thrawted the system. With a little fear in her voice she said, "Look Mommy, a barbie..." She could hardly believe her luck but I think she as also concerned I would take her away. My head was spinning. What to do? She was so excited. So happy. How could I take this special surprise away from her? How could I not?

It was dark out and as I was trying to come up with a response I looked closer at her hand and what do I see....the 'Barbie' that Molly picked out (out of the many choices) was Xena--the Warrior Princess!!! My baby girl picked out the warrior princess!


No comments: